If you want to lose weight, or you just want to get healthy, then breakfast should be number one on your list. Even if you’re exercising every day, you could be sabotaging your plans by skipping breakfast! And, if you do eat breakfast every day, you may be choosing the wrong foods. Here are 5 healthy breakfast tips to make that first meal of the day a healthy one.
1) Never Skip Breakfast: This is number one on the list of healthy breakfast tips for a very good reason! You may think you’re shaving calories off your day by missing breakfast, but it just leaves you more likely to snack on unhealthy foods throughout the morning. In addition to this, breakfast kickstarts your metabolism, making your body work harder to burn off calories from the meals you eat through the rest of the day.
2) Avoid Sugar: Many of us wrongly assume that all breakfast cereals are healthy. This is far from the truth. Many of them are overloaded with sugar. This can lead to weight gain and energy spikes that will leave you feeling sleepy by lunch time.
3) Don’t Drink Too Much Juice: Although fruit juice is good for you, this doesn’t mean that it’s free from calories. The sugar in fruit juice can cause an energy spike, so stick to a small glass and drink water to hydrate you for the day. Drinking more water has the added benefit of helping you to feel fuller and avoid snacking.
4) Start As You Mean To Go On: Think of breakfast as a kick-start for your day, and start with healthy foods that’ll give your body the energy you need. This means avoiding fast food and fried breakfasts that’ll leave you feeling sluggish at work.
5) Include a Few Superfoods: Superfoods are ingredients known to greatly decrease your risk of developing a range of diseases. Conveniently, many of these are perfect for breakfast. Here are a few top ingredients to get you going: oats, tea, yogurt (low fat), berries, nuts and seeds. Even if you only have a handful of these ingredients, it’s a good way to make sure you get something healthy into your day.
If all these healthy breakfast tips seem a little complicated for you when you frequently find yourself rushing around in the mornings, remember to plan ahead. If necessary, prepare your breakfast the night before to make it as easy as possible for you to stick to a healthy diet.