Building trust in certain situations can be tricky. While you may be looking to trust people, have you thought about how people view you when it comes to trust? Use the following, easy ways to build trust in both yourself and in others.
- Keep to your word and follow through with your actions.
- Learn how to communicate effectively with others. This is usually the main reason why relationships fall apart, because of bad communication skills.
- It takes time to build and earn trust. Learning to trust someone should be viewed as a daily activity.
- Take time when making decisions, and think before acting too quickly.
- Value those relationships you have and don’t take them for granted.
- Treat your customers well and thank them for their business.
- Develop solid business principles.
- Work on developing customer loyalty.
- Develop your team skills and participate openly.
- Always be honest.
- Help people whenever you can. If you enjoy this, look at becoming a coach or mentor to others.
- Don’t hide your feelings. This one can be tough, but when people know you care about them, they will quickly learn how to trust you.
- Don’t always self-promote. Think about others.
- Learn to always do the right thing – another toughie for sure, but definitely worth it.
- Admit your mistakes and share what you have learnt from it. Showing your vulnerable side helps to build trust with others.
While the above ways are all relatively easy to use, putting them into play may be difficult for some people. If you have been hurt or deceived in the past, learning to trust again can take a long, long time. But don’t give up on trusting people again, there are plenty of good, trustworthy people in this world.
One of the best pieces of advice that we can give you is to look at the way you view trust first. Go through the above list and see if you can honestly say that you do all of those things. If not, select one or two and work on improving them first.
Another idea is to ask a good friend how you do in the trust department. If you don’t like what you hear, take steps to change this viewpoint of you.
Next, look at someone that you don’t quite trust yet. Figure out the reasons why and see what you can do to improve the situation or relationship.