Working from home as a mother can be very lucrative. There are many advantages to starting a home based business. Maybe you’ve thought of some of them already. You may already realize all the different ways you can experience freedom as a work at home mom (WAHM).
- Time Freedom – You can make your own hours when you work for yourself. Even if you choose a work at home job you are usually able to set your schedule around your family’s schedule.
- Place Freedom –You get to work where you want to. Whether it’s in the yard, your home office, at the kitchen table, or your client’s location, you only have to do the work you love.
- Stress Freedom – You can eliminate a lot of stress when you have more balance in your life. If you choose a work from home business model that works well with your family’s needs, you won’t be as stressed as when you’re trying to work around other people’s schedules.
- Money Freedom – When you work for yourself under your own terms, you can literally earn unlimited amounts of money. Many work at home moms earn six figures and even more than that. Pick the right path and commit to the necessary investments in time, effort, and education to pursue it, and you can be there too.
If you want real freedom, it’s important to really look into the different ways you can work from home. There are numerous business models that will help you earn a good living. Pick the one that’s right for you.
Types of Business Models for WAHMs
There are online and offline businesses that you can do from home. There are advantages and disadvantages for both types of working from home. Working online can allow you to earn a living without having to leave your house, thus eliminating the need for transportation, expensive clothing, convenience food, and child care expense, and money saved definitely counts as money earned.
Starting an offline work at home position can do much the same, but you may need to use part of your home, such as with child care, or you may need to leave the house to sell something you made such as a painting, but still using your home as your office and base.
Online Work at Home Businesses
In an online work at home business, you can use your computer and technology to do everything you need to do in order to make money from the comfort of your home office.
Invest in the best laptop or personal computer that you can afford, or start with what you have right now; match your skillset with the type of audience you want to work with and you can create a business. Here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing.
- Virtual Assistant – This is sort of like being a secretary. Anything a secretary can do that doesn’t require a physical presence, a VA can do. Some people also call this an Administrative Assistant or Administrative Consultant.
- Web Designer – With the right skills you can design full-fledged websites from scratch or you can train yourself to become an expert with certain builders and platforms like Wix.com or self-hosted WordPress.
- Freelance Writer – You can do anything from publishing Kindle books on Amazon to writing for people who need content for their websites and blogs. If you have a gift with words, you may even be able to be a copywriter creating awesome sales material.
- YouTube Star – Believe it or not, people are earning a real living as YouTube stars. The trick is to find a niche and make daily vlogs catering to it. Be entertaining, promote your channel, and at some point you’ll start earning money through ad revenue, sponsorships, and your own products such as books and premiums.
- Blogger – Start a blog in a niche that you enjoy, know a lot about, and are an expert in. Post a daily blog post informing and entertaining your audience. You’ll earn money via advertising, affiliate sales, and your own products and service offerings.
- Online Marketing Consultant – If you love helping others promote their business on social media and other online avenues, then an online marketing consultant might be something you’d like to do. With the popularity of Facebook and other social sites, businesses need a lot of help doing everything from making posts to developing better profiles.
- Webinar Expert – Many types of business owners have regular webinars to promote their products and services. They need people who know how to use the platform they choose, how to set up sign-up pages, and how to troubleshoot the technology.
- Online Business Manager – Just like a bricks and mortar business needs a manager, any business online that expects to grow needs a manager too. You can specialize with different niches such as managing a coaching business, an affiliate business, or even an online business that sells physical products.
- Life / Business Coach – If you have a gift for helping people and the expertise to do it, you can become a life or business coach. There are coaches that help people start businesses, lose weight, parent better, and more.
- Affiliate Marketing – With affiliate marketing you usually combine blogging or vlogging with promoting other people’s products. You’ll get a special link that you set up to send people to the product and you’ll get a percentage of each sale that you make.
- Online Teacher / Tutor – Today, there are many ways that you can teach people online. You no longer have to be in the same room. You can use live streaming technology to meet with students live or you can set up courses using a platform like Udemy.com for almost any type of subject from learning to be happy to algebra.
Starting an online business simply requires knowledge of using the technology available, knowing who you want to work with, what your skills are, and finding a way to match those qualities together to create an amazing online business.
When you work from home, most of the time you don’t have to get child care or buy special clothing, or even have transportation. You can schedule your work around your children’s schedules and create a very balanced life while earning a full time living.
Offline Work at Home Businesses
You can also start a business at home that requires more local work with individuals or going to other locations with your home as the base. These positions are often just as lucrative as the online businesses but require a little more infrastructure or hands on work.
- In-Home Childcare Provider – If you have a big enough home, you can use a portion of it to provide child care. You can make from 100 to 200 dollars per child depending on your location and the age of the children. You will need to get licensing for your state.
- Event / Wedding / Party Planner – If you like planning parties from birthdays to weddings to anniversaries or other events, you can make a good living doing it. You’ll need to make connections with caterers, bakers, and others who can help you with the parties. You’ll manage everything and put it all together and make sure nothing goes wrong.
- Music Teacher – If you are good with music and know how to teach people to play an instrument, sing, or perform, you can become a music teacher from your home. You may need to get a background check to work with kids if the parents are going to leave.
- Soap Maker / Jewelry Maker / Knitter – Making artisan soaps, jewelry, knitting, crocheting and selling the creations at your local farmer’s market, thrift store, and even online at a store like Etsy.com is a great way to earn more money in a business of your own.
- Public Speaker – Do you have a motivational story to tell or have you achieved success that you can help others achieve? If so, you might consider becoming a public speaker. You can get on various speakers lists and make quite a good living speaking. This requires travel, so it’s not working “at” home, but your home can be your base.
- Seamstress – If you can sew, you can create a business in a variety of ways from making custom made clothing or purses to alterations. You can sell online and locally to custom shops by offering a percentage of sales to local boutiques.
- House Cleaner – It might not be romantic but there is a lot of money to be earned in the housekeeping business. People need help due to their busy lives and you can provide that help. You’ll go to their location to do the cleaning, of course, but you can run everything else from your home office.
- Backyard Gardener – If you have at least 1/2 an acre, you can start gardening as a business. You can grow salad vegetables, herbs, and more and sell them to local restaurants and even some grocery stores, or set up a stand at your local farmer’s market. If you live in the right location, you can set up a stand right there.
- Pet Groomer – If you love pets, you can clean them and groom them so that they look good. You can do this right from home if you create a little grooming shop in an extra room. Check your local laws to find out the rules of regulation.
- Personal Chef – Do you like cooking special meals? If so you can do that for people in their homes. You shop for the ingredients, cook them in the client’s house, and then freeze them in labeled containers for the client to heat up later during the week.
- Furniture Maker – Have a knack at building things with woodworking equipment? You can create new items from scratch or you can refurbish and then sell older items. This business can be quite lucrative and start as a hobby.
- Landscaping Services – With a lawn mower and some equipment you can start a landscaping business. Even if all you do is mow lawns and edge them, you can earn a good living during the season. You can easily make 30 to 40 an hour.
- Interior Decorator – If you have a way with color, staging furniture, and making a house feel like a home, you might want to start an interior decorating business. You will earn money based on the total budget so you’ll need to be good at getting discounts from suppliers.
Hopefully, these ideas helped you think of something you can do from home. Being a mom is a difficult job, but if you can do something to earn money as a work at home mom it will make everything a lot easier. No need to commute to work, buy expensive clothing, and in some cases you don’t even need child care. At the very least, you’ll be able to work around your children’s schedules so that you can have a better balanced family life.
Work at Home Jobs
There are also companies that hire people to work from home. You can work as a transcriptionist, inbound sales person and more all from the comfort of your home. Some legitimate work from home jobs are through the following companies.
These types of jobs can sometimes be as actual employees or independent contractors, but either way they are on more of a schedule working for one company using their software and their techniques. It’s important to understand that these companies offer a little bit of a different set up than having your own business, but they are a legitimate way to become a work at home mom.
Things to Do Before Becoming a Work at Home Mom
Being a working mom can be very difficult. Even though more dads are stepping up to help out more often, the fact is, it’s women who get pregnant and women who breastfeed. It can make working life difficult for the mom. But moms who figure out a way to work from home usually have a lot more work-life balance which helps them find more joy in both working and motherhood. However, it’s important to ask yourself some questions before becoming a WAHM.
- Assess Your Skills – What are you good at doing? Make a list of the type of skills you already have as well as the education you have. Don’t worry if you feel deficient, you can always take a course or do online training to get yourself up to speed. Check out Udemy.com for plenty of courses to help you.
- Determine How Much Time You Can Realistically Devote – When you have a family to take care of, you need to be realistic about the time you have. Will you need to get child care for your chosen path? Can you work around your children’s schedule? Don’t put roadblocks in your way by choosing something that is too hard to start as soon as possible.
- Know Who You Want to Work with – What are the types of people you enjoy working with and for? If you hate sitting at a computer with earphones on taking calls from people, don’t do it. Find something else. There are so many ways you can earn money from home today that you don’t have to settle for something you hate.
- Know if You Want a Business or a Job – Starting a business means you have to be very self-reliant. You have to push yourself to market your business to find clients. At a job, you just have to apply and get hired and then you simply perform the job you were hired to do. There is no right or wrong way or better way. How you prefer to work is what matters.
- Get Down to Work – Don’t make excuses or get tied up with perfection. Instead, once you figure out what you want to do, write down the steps to doing it each and every day.
Take the time to do your due diligence to avoid scams. Don’t give out your social security number without knowing a company is legit. If you want to start a business you should name your business and then go to the IRS site, if you’re an American Citizen, and get a free Employer Identification Number (EIN). Then just do it and get started.